focus peaking on m43 ... how good is it?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,704
Re: focus peaking on m43 ... how good is it?

kohinoor wrote:

Donald B wrote:

kohinoor wrote:

hindesite wrote:

I use peaking on my G7 with lenses as long as an 800/5.6 Nikkor, and it works well enough generally.

However, for more static subjects magnified view is more reliable, so I wouldn't get hung up too much on peaking alone.

I see. And is the magnified view stable enough for focus evaluation when the cam isn't on a tripod but just on a monopod?

of coarse it is, how do you think your images look at 100% on your computer isnt that how you see if you hit focus ? mag veiw is no different.

Well, my computer doesn't shake the least bit when I look at pics at 100%! But as I'm no native English speaker my wording may have been the wrong.
May be I should better have asked: Is the IBIS good enough to provide a sufficiently steady viewing for critical evaluation.

The answer is yes, maybe. I shoot a PanLeica 100-400 on my E-M 1 II and employ both peaking and magnification with good results. I use the lens OIS rather than the IBIS of the E-M1 II because the lens OIS is on full time which gives me a stable view, even before I initiate focus as is necessary if using the Olympus IBIS.

That said, the focus peaking can become overbearing if used in tight, bushy areas, or long wide landscapes.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow