(D)evolution over time? The Sony SLT55 to SLT58

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheSonyEnthusiast
TheSonyEnthusiast Regular Member • Posts: 318
(D)evolution over time? The Sony SLT55 to SLT58

Hi everyone,

So about two months ago I gifted an A58 and an assortment of gear to a friend in Brazil so she could learn photography as she's never had an actual camera before. I figured "hey, M battery, 20MP, and paired with an 18-200 Sigma, and an SAL20F28 isn't too bad to start off." Right?

Well a debate over specs between A9 versus a Canon M6ii (I know, it's less a contest and more of a slaughter, condolences to Canon users) led me to wonder what the buffer capacity and speed was for the A55, A57, and A58? I was actually a bit disappointed in my findings.

A55 - upto 12fps, RAW-JPEG buffer size is 20/35

A57 - up to 10fps. RAW-JPEG buffer size is --/25

A58 - up to 5fps. RAW-JPEG buffer size is 6/8

Now correct me if I'm wrong: is the Sony A55 arguably a better camera than its successors? Does it feel like Sony crippled each successive iteration, or simply didn't want to improve on a design so as to make the E mount system more attractive?  I know there may have been some advancements such as lcd resolution, AF improvements, higher MP sensors, etc, but I feel the articulating screen, higher buffer capacities and shooting rates, still solid 16MP sensor, and relatively easy access for manual micro focus adjustment made it bit better, and Sony decided to simply make it less competitive to newer iterations of the NEX system.

Let me know your thoughts

-- hide signature --

I make my own repairs at home.

TheSonyEnthusiast's gear list:TheSonyEnthusiast's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A77 +30 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M6 Sony a9 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
EXX
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow