My experiences with the Commlite EF-E High Speed Adapter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Juniper281 New Member • Posts: 5
My experiences with the Commlite EF-E High Speed Adapter

So after hours of researching, last month I decided to go for the Commlite HS adapter because it was the cheapest smart adapter available where I live and reviews seemed to be very positive. I then tested it on my A7III with a bunch of EF lenses, among which are the 16-35mm f/2.8 mark III, the 135mm f/2 and the 70-200mm f4 (non-IS) First impression was that AF worked instantaneously. I'd say it was even a bit faster than the MC-11 which I also had with me at the time. Most of the important AF modes worked and it could even track my cat's eyes which I found very astounding considering the price point. However, it only impressed for about 15 minutes then it started to lose focus and just kept hunting back and forth even in bright daylight. I had to turn off the camera, remove the battery and restart it, then it worked again only to stop working minutes later, and that cycle kept repeating. I later found out that I could reproduce the error by trying to focus at minimum distance (which it always failed to achieve). I went to the store where they agreed to take it back for a repair and I had to wait. I'm not going into details here but the process was a PITA. I later got a new replacement and it seemed to work better: a tiny bit slower but no more constant hunting - so very similar to a MC-11. But this is also when I found out something strange: the new adapter looked different with the USB port inside the mount instead of out on the barrel like the old one. A bit of googling and I learned of the followings:

- There seems to be 2 versions of this same adapter, one with USB port outside (let's call it Version 1) and the other one inside (Version 2). Also for Version 1, there seems to be more variations based on the look of the lens release button (textured vs. plain)

- Version 1 is shown in most photos on the Internet. Meanwhile photos on Commlite & several major retailers' sites (like B&H) only depict Version 2.

- Some people have pointed out that there are two version but overall there's no official statement or news article or even a blog post mentioning this as a significant fact.

So, at first I got Version 1, was not happy with it, then they gave me Version 2 as an exchange. Considering the difference in performance and all the hassles both the store & their supplier (a Commlite authorized distributor) gave me before they agreed that I deserved a replacement, I now suspected that they knew Version 1 was flawed but they just had too many in stock to get rid of. Things got even more interesting after I emailed Commlite concerning the 2 versions with pictures, and they strangely denied the existence of Version 1, claiming that their "tech department had no idea about it" and suggesting that it might be a "defective product" (I think they meant counterfeit)

I know it's a long and boring story, I just thought you guys who are planning to buy this adapter should be aware of the problem. For the time being I can only advise you to buy the one with USB port inside. If anyone here has had any experience with the Commlite, I can't wait to hear from you. Maybe you guys can help clear things up a little bit?

(photos of the 2 versions)

Version 1 (USB port outside)

Version 2 (USB port inside)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow