New camera advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gary_031119 New Member • Posts: 3
New camera advice

I just came across this forum a few hours ago.

I’m beyond frustrated at this point. I'm looking to upgrade to a better camera. I get online, read a review or watch a YouTube video, and decide this will be my next camera. That is, until the next review or video comes along.

I would appreciate any advice, hoping that the information I’m providing will help someone steer me in the right direction.

I currently own a Nikon D90, which continues to take some fantastic pictures. My secret is to take as many pictures as possible at an event, and by the law of averages, I get many great shots.

I have two lenses:

Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-70 mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED

Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300 mm 1: 4-5.6G

I'm purchasing the new GoPro Hero8, so I'm not concerned about the video aspect.

I'm pretty much addicted to the Auto mode. I'll take my camera to team events (something that would only happen once a year), and realize this is not the time to experiment with my settings. I should experiment with those settings at other times, but that never seems to happen, due to time restraints.

A lot of times I don't get the shot I want. Things are moving so fast, that I end up not being focused on what I want to focus on.

The other issue is my lens. I miss a lot of shots because in one instance I want to do something close up, and then moments later I want a zoom shot. It would be nice to have a reliable one-size-fits-all lens.

I also do some indoor photography. We'll have a potluck after our events, where I take a lot of group shots of people, with varying results. I have an issue with camera images when there are low-light situations.

The good news is I'm very good at Photoshop, and spend a lot of time perfecting my images. I’ll get back from an event and the question always is, “When are we going to see the photos?” They usually arrive a few days later, and they do look great. Sometimes, after a lot of work. I’m quite a perfectionist, even getting rid of power lines (or other annoyances), in the outdoor shots.

So, I'm looking for a camera that would make my life easier. At the same time, I’m willing to learn the ins and outs of a more advanced camera. Not necessarily tied to a Nikon, since I'll probably be purchasing a new camera and lens.

Any thoughts on a camera/lens, that would fit my situation?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

… Gary

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow