Getting a Panasonic 100-400mm repaired in the UK

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,786
Getting a Panasonic 100-400mm repaired in the UK

I had the base plate break off a Panasonic 100-400mm mounted on an E-M1.2 after dropping my camera bag - I have documented the accident here.

I took my broken lens to a local Panasonic dealer who forwarded it to an authorised Panasonic repairer here in the UK. They told me that it couldn't be repaired but offered me a new (probably refurbished) lens at a discounted price of £1,060. The 100-400mm new costs £1,199 at reputable UK dealers. I declined the offer and asked for my lens back. It took the repairer a total of 5 weeks to tell me that it couldn't be repaired and then return the lens.

I had previously seen this post by another 100-400mm owner with exactly the same breakage as mine. He got his lens repaired by a small repair shop in Ashton-under-Lyne called "Clearer Images". I sent them an e-mail with details and photos of my breakage and they gave me a quote for £160 the next day. I sent the camera off and got is back today, 10 days later.

The lens works mechanically the same as it did before the accident, i.e. the zoom is still a bit stiff and it still requires a little more effort than normal to mount the lens on a Olympus body. I have done some fairly extensive optical tests today in my garden and the optics appear to be fine. I will carry out some more tests on real life subjects when the weather improves.

I am very happy with the repair.

If anybody wants to contact Clearer Images for a quote, this is their website . Contact them by e-mail rather than by telephone.

I asked Clearer Images two questions and here are their replies:

1. Which (Panasonic) lenses can your repair? Answer: We can repair all lenses providing parts are in stock.
  2. Are you able to deal with damage to the optical elements of the lens, e.g. a misalignment? Answer: We can replace scratched or damaged optical elements on the Panasonic lens units and we can realign after being dropped.

I hope that this is useful information for anybody else in the UK trying to get a 100-400mm or any other Panasonic lens repaired.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow