Where do you buy vintage lenses? (actual stores)

Started Oct 16, 2019 | Discussions thread
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,435
Re: Where do you buy vintage lenses? (actual stores)

chaimav wrote:

I have been trying to find a good local source of inexpensive vintage lenses and have yet to find one. So I thought about starting a thread on everyone's favorite place to shop (if you don't mind sharing your secret). I am aware of various online sites, but sometimes you to be able to touch and feel first and to find that rare gem, so please limit it brick and mortar stores.

Please post

• What region you are in (e.g. name of closest big city)
  • The name and location of your favorite source for vintage lenses.
  • Any descriptions of the store would be nice such has selection, price range, general review, etc..

I don't really have any local ones; that's why I follow estate sales/garage sales. There is a local camera store in Kansas City that carries some used lenses, Overland Photo Supply, but it hasn't had much stock in the times I've been there. (I do absolutely recommend them for other camera gear.)

When I've visited friends in Indianapolis, I've been impressed by Roberts Camera's vintage lens selection; most of their stock is back in a warehouse area, but the store clerks were happy to go out and pull a lens for me to look at. They do business online as UsedPhotoPro.com, so you can get a feel for their stock by looking there. (The location I went to was the downtown store, 220 E St Clair St.)

When I was visiting Orlando, I had a few hours to kill and did a search for local photo stores. The one I found was The Old Camera Store (http://www.oldcamerastore.com), which operates out of the Oveido Antique Mall. The owner wasn't there when I visited, so the antique mall people were the ones who worked with me; they didn't know anything about lenses but were able to open the cases and let me look. The stock fell into two categories: 'cheap' lenses that were just out on the shelf for people to look through, and expensive lenses in display cabinets. The lenses I looked at in the display cabinets were in good shape and appeared to be well maintained. The 'cheap' lenses were in the $5-20 category, the expensive ones went for $100 on up.

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow