Computational Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,243
Re: Computational Photography

chipmaster wrote:

Now why is the thrust being led by the most marginal of companies with the smallest sensors, because they were so behind and necessity is the mother of all invention.

Not sure what you're saying. Google and Apple and Huawei are into computational photography, yes, but are the opposite of "marginal" companies. Nikon and Canon combined are lunch money by comparison.

Why the traditional big boys didn't do it, because they were so preoccupied with their market share and competing against their decades old rivals and a classic case of innovator's dilemma.

Again, more like small boys. And that goes for the computers, which are at the heart of the phones and the, well, computational part. An iPhone now has a processor, eg, that is in many ways faster than what many of us have on our desks. So being able to do almost real time stacking for HDR, astro, focus, etc is more feasible on a phone than certainly in most any camera out there today. Not sure what an A13 chip costs, but I imagine it would boost the cost of a camera considerably. Hence a good reason not to include that, esp since most of use would do the computation on our computers (or tablets or phone) anyway.

Now the laggards have for the most part beaten the incumbents for total % of pictures taken by the majority.

That happened probably within a month of the first iPhone camera, computational computing notwithstanding.

Yeah press/sports/wedding/nature/hobby they cling to the old, but once the new leaders figure out zoom and low light action who knows.

So let's not debate the phones and their quality, what I want to know from you all which of the big old companies will lead in the computational ? The laggards or the big three, I'd say the laggards likely have the most to gain to try, but do they have the resources, or do they partner with a google, or could any of the big three swallow their pride and approach google

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/technology/personaltech/google-pixel-photography.html

I'd love to see better computers in camera bodies. But not for stuff I do in Ps or Lr anyway. More for the bursts and AF and other features that phones are using. I'd still want the heavy computing to be more manually controlled in post.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow