Transfering 35mm negative to digital form? Some more information about this?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Andreascy
OP Andreascy Contributing Member • Posts: 824
Re: Transfering 35mm negative to digital form? Some more information about this?

sybersitizen wrote:

Andreascy wrote:

there are many ways to transfer film negatives to screen. Flatbet scanners, 35mm scanning devices and Digital cameras with Macro lenses.

I already choose my scanning device because i dont wanted to spend a lot of money for this, and i think that this epson scanner would be more than enough for me, it can scans 3200Dpi , thats is around 15mp image.

It really can't scan at 3200 PPI. Because everything has to be scanned through a sheet of glass, the usable resolution of a typical flatbed scanner is something like 1800 PPI if you're lucky. The 15MP image you're getting is really just a bloated 5MP image at best.

I've owned lots of flatbeds myself and have an Epson V500 now. It's great with prints, but it's quite disappointing with slides compared to my dedicated film scanner, or even compared to digitizing using my A77 and macro lens.

100% crops of the same slide digitized with A77 RAW, A77 JPEG, Epson V500, and PrimeFilm 7200 scanner:

The camera versions were captured at 24MP; the PrimeFilm version was captured at 3600 PPI (roughly its maximum practical resolution). They were then resampled to match the Epson version scanned at 3200 PPI (far beyond its maximum practical resolution).

Now to the main part of the thread,

My first question is What things in film photography playing role to have a good image quality? i can understand that a lens is critical and the Film you using? but what about other factors like a camera?

Any decent camera that works properly should be fine.

second question is: About scanning devices. I can understand that all scanning devices using a scanning optical Eye to read the film negative. i can understand that the image in film negative is A raw image- like the Raw image of a digital camera. So if i used different method to scan the same negative i will get different results in colors etc?

You can see some of that for yourself in my example.

The resolution will be different because is depends about the scanning device and the optical resolving power will give . So lets say if i scan the negatives with my existing flatbet scanner i will get different colors from other scanning devices?

Almost certainly. Some other factors to consider if you use a camera for digitizing color negatives: It might not be very easy to accurately correct for the orange color cast, and you won't have access to automatic dust and scratch removal that many scanners offer.

is the software of each scanning device a jpeg engine that proceed the image to the final stage?

Good scanners with good scanning software are not limited to JPEG output. They can produce 16-bit or even 32-bit images.

Thank you for the examples it looks interesting.

although the epson has the most natural color is very soft. i can understand why is so soft and is strange.

I think my photo is clean enough. and is taken with non professional camera. this small film cameras with batteries . you can even see the grain of the image if you zoom in.

Andreascy's gear list:Andreascy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow