Thank you Olympus

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 9,534
Thank you Olympus

Thank you Olympus, you have just saved me €1000 at least for the time being. I have just read the EM5iii specifications here on DPR.

I think my EM5i will be able to soldier on for a good while longer whilst I wait for a meaningful upgrade to the midrange Olympus EM5 line.

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III is a midrange Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera. Olympus redesigned many of its internal components, allowing the Mark III to be considerably smaller than its predecessor. It features a 20MP Four Thirds sensor (borrowed from the higher-end E-M1 II), a 5-axis in-body IS system (which can reduce shake by up to 6.5 stops) and a 121-point hybrid autofocus system. The camera can shoot bursts at 10 fps with continuous autofocus, and can fire away at 30 fps with focus and exposure locked on the first shot. It also has the ability to shoot ultra-high-res 50MP images by shifting its sensor, though a tripod is required.

Well the EM5i is quite small enough, so who cares if it is a few mm smaller. The 20MP sensor has a negligible increase in definition. The money spent on DXO Photolab with its excellent noise reduction was a bigger “upgrade” for me.

IBIS might be a bit better but the original still does the job for me.

Personally, I do not need to shoot at 10 frames per second or indeed at 30. I accept some people do and might find it useful. Better ability to focus is a good move forward, but my old EM5 does well enough for me. Better focusing ability will not get me to shell out that €1000

Ah, 50MP high resolution. Well for static stuff it works if you put it on a tripod. That’s a bit limiting. For high resolution I just use the right tool, which is my D810, which you can find SH in good condition for less money than this new camera.

The body of the E-M5 III is weather-sealed and has a 2.36M-dot EVF and tilting touchscreen display. It can capture 4K 30p and 24p video, and also has a high speed 1080/120p option. As with all Olympus cameras, it has an extensive amounts of 'Art Filters', allowing users to stylize their photos without a computer. When it's time to share photos, the E-M5 III offers both Wi-Fi

All the EM5's have been "weather sealed", so nothing new here.

I do not care about Video and I hate cheesy "Art filter" photography graphic art.

WiFi is a good step forward, but again not worth trading in my old EM5 for.

So, my bruised and battered EM5's will soldier on for a good while longer making pictures absolutely indistinguishable from those coming out of the latest EM5 variant.

Thank you, Olympus, for keeping my bank account in a heathier situation for probably a good while longer.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow