First non-kit lens for a young photographer.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Senior Member • Posts: 3,498
Re: First non-kit lens for a young photographer.

4. 45mm F1.8

Looking at her photo metadata, a lot of her favourited shots were taken between 40-62mm.

This is where you should be looking for, in this range you have a 45 Olymbus

a 42.5 from panasonic

and 60mm from sigma and all are under 400 usd new.

all the o and p are brighter that what you currently have.

If you wanted waterproof you can get the 12-40 12-50 or 12-60 lenses which have some wr.

most m43 lenses do not need to be stopped down.

They're share common traits being not waterproof but allows > 2x the light again to the 12-40mm. They are all quite compact and seem suitable to have as the lens to leave on the camera ready to go.

To make matters even more complex (to me) I've read that standard lenses are commonly shot with a reduction of 1 stop to the aperture for sharpness and the 12-40mm is equally sharp throughout it's aperture range, so does that mean for optimal use the prime lenses are effective F2.8 lens anyway?

Apologies if I'm way out of my league here, I generally lack an eye for aesthetics and simply thinking in terms I can fathom i.e. amount, duration of light vs amount of signal noise.

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks.

Marty.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow