Computational Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
PJPfeiffer Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Re: Computational Photography

chipmaster wrote:

An interesting article on the new phones., after all this site is about digital photography.

Now why is the thrust being led by the most marginal of companies with the smallest sensors, because they were so behind and necessity is the mother of all invention.

Why the traditional big boys didn't do it, because they were so preoccupied with their market share and competing against their decades old rivals and a classic case of innovator's dilemma.

Now the laggards have for the most part beaten the incumbents for total % of pictures taken by the majority.

Yeah press/sports/wedding/nature/hobby they cling to the old, but once the new leaders figure out zoom and low light action who knows.

So let's not debate the phones and their quality, what I want to know from you all which of the big old companies will lead in the computational ? The laggards or the big three, I'd say the laggards likely have the most to gain to try, but do they have the resources, or do they partner with a google, or could any of the big three swallow their pride and approach google

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/technology/personaltech/google-pixel-photography.html

I wonder if a similar discussion took place about Kodak when digital entered photography?

PJPfeiffer's gear list:PJPfeiffer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Snapseed +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow