I finally made the move ----

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SBS
SBS Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
I finally made the move ----

To a zoom lens.

With the demise of two of my Pentax Limited primes – first the 43mm and the now the 31mm, I was left with only the 40mm as a wide(?) angle prime. I actually tried it for a wedding, but it meant I had to drag along the Sigma 10-20mm for a safety valve. [(I really hate ultra wide angle lenses for portraits. Too much distortion.) (By the way, the 40mm is quite usable on the K1.)]

Instead of fixing or replacing the 31mm, I decided it was finally time to bring the 24-70mm f/2.8 on board. The recent price drop to $997 helped. But I almost immediately sent it back when I mounted it to the K1. Damn that’s a heavy combination. I decided against wimping out and used it for two weddings this past weekend.

Sure made the job easier. Now I can shoot with one camera (mostly). I can change focal lengths with a flick of the wrist. I can walk around without thinking about what lens should be mounted, and avoid the tiresome – But, I just changed lenses, and now they want to ---. I’m finally completely waterproofed. (Haven’t needed to be yet, but it's nice to know I’m covered.) And, the images look good.

Of course, there has to be some downsides or else I will feel like a blooming idiot for taking so long to go zoom.

– The Weight. My already damaged left shoulder doesn’t feel so good right now. I’m hoping I aggravated it in some other way than providing the necessary support of the camera/lens with my left hand. If this turns out to be my body’s typical reaction, then never mind easy to use zoom lens. You are not for me.

– Falling down the GAS rabbit hole. If I decide The Weight is not really an issue, will I then be tempted to buy the new 50mm f/1.4 lens? I don’t really need it, but since when has that mattered? I’m a photographer after all. Worse still, if I fall in love with the convenience, then there is the 70-200mm ---. Oh god, this is getting out of hand.

– I’m worried about getting fat and lazy. Using my feet to change focal lengths with prime lenses has been my chief form of exercise. Will a zoom lens be the death of me?

– And finally, and this is the real crux of the matter, I have to change my look. Those compliments on my stylish appearance with the leather, suspender-like, double camera harness will disappear as I revert to a single camera side clip (PeakDesign). I’m not sure my ego can do without them.

Ah well, a photographer’s life is not easy. Maybe I’ll go to my local camera store and do some shopping to make me feel better.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow