FEISOL Tripods - how durable compared to RRS/Gitzo?

Started Oct 16, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
starfly Senior Member • Posts: 1,104
FEISOL Tripods - how durable compared to RRS/Gitzo?

I have my eye on one of the Tournament tripods from FEISOL.  Seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.  Will be using it with an Acratech GXP ballhead.

My goal is to have an all-round setup suitable for travel/hiking, so low weight is an important criteria, and will be using it in cold and hot environments, sandy, dusty, wet, etc..  And well, I spent $500 on a ball-head hoping that I'll never have to buy another ball-head again.  I want to do the same with the tripod.  Buy a good tripod and never have to buy another one again (unless of course it breaks).

The two top brands for carbon fiber tripods are of course Really Right Stuff and Gitzo.  Is FEISOL competitive with those brands?  I saw the ratings on The Center Column so definitely from that perspective it's competitive.  But how about long-term durability and reliability?  I want something that will just work, all the time and every time, practically forever.  I'd prefer to spend as little money as possible of course, but at the same time with the goal of never having to buy another tripod again, spending a little bit more could end up costing less if there really will be a step up in quality.

But with RRS and Gitzo, am I just paying for the brand name at this point?  Have brands such as FEISOL really caught up in the quality department?

Thanks.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow