Do we need/want Motion Sense in our phones

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,317
Do we need/want Motion Sense in our phones

I have a hard time understanding why I would need or want this. Does anyone see where this would be useful to them?

As expected the new Motion Sense from the Pixel 4 seems to have some issues that will likely requires another generation of hardware and software to be resolved.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/pixel-4-hands-on-project-soli-just-seems-like-wii-waggle/

I'll have to play with Motion Sense some more to get a better beat on it, but so far, the first impressions are not good. Take the skipping music or dismissing an alarm gesture, where Soli has you wave your hand across the sensor: Soli needs a BIG gesture to work. It's not a flick of the wrist; it's a bend of the elbow. You need to wave your whole hand across the phone in a very big gesture. I've yet to find a way to skip songs using Soli that feels quick or effortless. The gesture is so big that it's a cumbersome, tiring, annoying thing to do.

Maybe I haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but I also have a very high miss rate. I'd say my gestures work about 50% of the time. At the very least, I can say Motion Sense is either not accurate or not very intuitive, given how many times I've already failed it. I feel I need to seek out more detailed instructions somewhere on how I am supposed to use it.

The two apps available were quick, extremely limited demos. One featured app was Pokemon Wave Hello where you... wave "hello" to a Pokemon? This was extremely simple: opening the app would display Pikachu and several other Pokemon on a plain background, and when you waved hello to them or did some other extremely simple gesture (many using the touch screen instead of the Soli sensor) they would respond with a simple animation. The "wave hello" gesture was, again, a big, arm swinging gesture. Many event attendees failed the hand-wave gesture more than once. I can't imagine ever doing the kind of big, arm flailing motion this requires in public.

Since Soli is radar, it needs to be approved by various government regulatory bodies around the world in order to be used in a country. In the US that's the FCC. A Google support page lists the countries where the Soil sensor has approval: "Currently, Motion Sense will work in the US, Canada, Singapore, Australia, Taiwan, and most European countries." This has nothing to do with where you bought the phone, either. Google's support page notes that "If you travel to a country where [Motion Sense is] not approved, it won’t work," meaning the feature is geo-fenced based on your current location.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow