90D + Tamron 150-600 g2

Started Oct 11, 2019 | Discussions thread
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,347
Re: 90D + Tamron 150-600 g2

Jack Jian wrote:

I was having the exact same problem with my Tamron 150-600 (1st version) on the 90D. Stills were often good. Anything moving, not so good.

One day, I took out my 6D with the lens and was reminded how well the combo works, compared to the Tamron 150-600 + the Canon 90D.

Ended up returning the 90D. It's a lovely camera, but I didn't want to purchase an expensive lens in order to enjoy it. Esp when my 6D works so consistently well with the old Tammy.

See below (both crops):

Along that line, I believe even the AF chip strip in FF (Dual Cross) are better than those in APS-C. Because I found the same accuracy (both in still and tracking Z-axis) with FF (5D, 6D & 6D II) vs APS-C (I've shot for long enough with 7D, 60D, 50D, 80D, 800D, 77D, SL2/3) with 85mm f1.8 and 70-200 f2.8 IS II. Even though the modern APS-C have more Cross Type AF points, the basic central AF points of the 5D, 6D & 6D II are far consistently accurate be it stationery/moving (z-axis) both in bright and low light. Out of the APS-C bunch, I found the SL2 & 3 to be the most consistently accurate with its central point (close to the FF), which is weird! Comparing to Nikon D7xxx series, the Nikons are more consistently accurate {tracking (z-axis)and stationery}.

I know this is off topic, but I experienced that Canon's APS-C's OVF AF tracking seems to be a bit lacking in performance compared to their FF especially in the z-axis. I haven't shoot the 7D II properly so I don't know how it performs.

I find the 6D OVF AF to be pretty accurate (even tricked into f/8 AF at "outer" points), but slow.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
(unknown member)
v30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow