Choosing between 4 entry level cameras

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sachiel New Member • Posts: 3
Choosing between 4 entry level cameras

Hi all. I'm considering getting a new camera (and possibly some lenses), and I'd like advice from the community.

For context: I started the hobby of photography around 2013, when I inherited and old Olympus E-1. With it I also got the kit lens 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Zuiko Digital, a 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 Zuiko Digital and a 50-200mm that had an incident last year and it's no longer with me :(. To finish the pack, I also got a FS-FL50 flash.

I almost exclusively use it when traveling. I like shooting mostly landscapes and other nature scenes, plants or animals. I also like to shoot abandoned human structures. I'd like to try some street photography, but I don't dare to photograph strangers yet.

Going to the point: I'm thinking on getting a new camera because:

• Main reason: I carry the camera + all the lenses with me when hiking, and after all these years I think I need something lighter. If my vacation is not on the wilderness but on a city, I go around with just the camera and one lens hanging from the side, so having a less bulky body (and probably a short lens like a prime) would make the experience better. Fun fact: Many times I get looks/comments of "wow, what a big camera, you must be an expert!" when it's just because is old bulky stuff.
  • The Olympus has only 5MP, which could be an issue if I decide to do some big prints. Realistically I've never been confident enough to have anything printed (apart from small family pics that my wife likes to hang of a wall), but I'm considering it to get me more engaged with the hobby (I've been quite absorbed with other stuff the past year).
  • There is also the "maybe with a better camera my shots would be better", but I know that I'm lying to myself and the issue is not that.

My budget is around the $500. I still have a lot to improve, so entry level should be enough for my needs. After looking at DPReview, I ended with four candidates: Canon EOS Rebel T7, Nikon D3500, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 and Olympus OM-D E-M10 III. Comparison here.

I am leaning towards the Nikon D3500, but I couldn't find any lens adapter for Four Thirds. I think I can still make use of the 11-22mm, so I feel bad about not being able to reuse it. Getting the Olympus would mean that I can also keep using the Flash, but I've never shot with it. I'd like to learn, but I just never find myself needing it for the type of photography I do, so it's probably a moot point.

I know that the four options listed don't have weather sealing like the E-1, but I'm assuming that I'm not going to find that with that budget and I'll just need to be more careful with the gear.

Any advice? Is there any other model that I should consider given my needs/experience? Or should I just forget about it and think of other ways of hiking/traveling lighter while carrying the E-1?

Canon EOS Rebel T7 (EOS 2000D) Nikon D3500 Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow