Your Nikon RAW NEF Work Flow ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP chrisD46 Regular Member • Posts: 291
Re: Your Nikon RAW NEF Work Flow ?

brucet wrote:

Just a comment directed at nobody in particular.

I'm assuming that shooting in RAW means you are looking for the 'highest quality' possible in your images. RAW = all the possible data from your camera. The more data you have the more editing you can do before quality drops.

So unless you simply convert your RAW file into a jpeg, (why not let your camera do that), then you are looking to keep as much data as possible. For me that is NEF to a 16 bit tiff. Then into Photoline where I can create layers. Work in both 16 and 8 bit. RGB and LAB. Positive and negative opacity, etc etc etc. Without the maximum data all these actions/edits will soon degrade the data to the point that you would be better off not starting.

My point being that if you are going to the effort of shooting in RAW then keeping the maximum amount of data is paramount. I simply can't see the point of shooting in RAW then saving as a jpeg. Yes I know that you can adjust the RAW before saving as a jpeg. What I'm talking about is moving that RAW onto more in depth editing.

*Yes , my goal is RAW -> 16 bit TIFF (staying in 16 bit TIFF for as long as possible) dropping down into jpeg only if required as the format required by an on - line semi custom / custom print service for uploading photos .

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow