Test images from the Sony E16-55mm f/2.8 G lens, as requested

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,097
Test images from the Sony E16-55mm f/2.8 G lens, as requested

Well my lens came in, and there were several people who made me promise to share images, and I've always been one to share Also to thank those before me who have helped me with countless decisions over the years, esp. on the Sony forums.

A brief summary before the images.

BUILD QUALITY: it's light, cheap feeling (IMHO), and I wouldn't put it in a rain storm. But personally, this is about as expected for a non-GM APS-C lens. I mention this however mainly because it IS a $1400 lens in the USA, so go in with this knowledge.

HANDLING: Amazing. In which I specifically refer to the size/weight. This lens is smaller than expected for an f/2.8 portrait zoom, and it weighs almost nothing. Already I can tell you this lens will be fixed permanently to my A6400 unless I need longer range.

AUTOFOCUS: Amazing. I did 110 shots, I missed one, and one shot it focused on the wrong eye. That's >98% accuracy. Of course, part of this is the superb A6400 focusing system.

IQ: Well, you can obviously refer to the SOOC non-retouched, non-edited, nothing at all photos that I will post here, but overall impressions are: IQ is very good, nice sharpness, nice bokeh, very decent contrast and beautiful color, BUT definitely not GM IMHO (there were a few who have said this was a mini-GM, but I don't agree). GM lenses have a step up in contrast and sharpness. Not that this is in any way unexpected, but again, some have been saying this lens is going to match GM lenses. However, it is plenty good for what it is as long as that unreasonable expectation is put aside. If I did not also own GM lenses, I would be super thrilled at the performance of this lens EXCEPT two situations: I will post one sample with lens flare, and one sample with slight CA. The CA shot was not shot with CA in mind, and I already see it rear its ugly head. I can only imagine you will get a fair amount of purple fringing through tree leaves if you do that test. As for lens flare, let's just say this isn't the lens I am going to use for beautiful lens flare rings.

OVERALL: One day, Sigma/Tamron might create a similar lens. The Tamron will have a slightly smaller focal range but be just as light and cost hundreds less, the Sigma will weigh twice as much and be superb optically and be just a little bit cheaper. Until then, I highly recommend this lens because it is the only portrait lens you will need for APS-C except under very specific situations (family portrait session in a hurricane not recommended).

Okay, so that's that, and I will post some samples below.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow