Why I am I so bad composing with wide angle lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jande9
jande9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,409
Re: Thanks and a summary

DMillier wrote:

I was thinking mainly about the use of wide lenses for landscape photography. Perhaps that wasn't obvious from the thread. Landscapes are obviously a more limited palette than the totality of wide angle work and therefore seem more open to a workflow based approach. Of course, the hope would be that with time, this all becomes instinctive.

I think it is very difficult to get a satisfying landscape shot with a wide angle lens, unless you are shooting the Milky Way or you are very close to something very big.

WA lenses seem more suited to emphasizing the space between the foreground and the background and showing the relationship of the foreground to the background.

There are lots of examples of beautiful but cliched WA shots.  The lonely tree in the desert.  The rock in the surf.  The detail on the classic car.  Finding your own "voice" using a WA lens is hard but if you are able the results can be very dramatic.

Jan

jande9's gear list:jande9's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow