Return of Error 80 on Canon 70D

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eukerion
eukerion Junior Member • Posts: 29
Return of Error 80 on Canon 70D

Hi all,

Last year my Canon EOS 70D encountered the infamous Error 80, which Canon fixed for free as part of their repair policy on that particular problem. Yesterday, the problem showed up again; I'm planning on returning to Canon to get it repaired again, but I'm also seriously considering investing in a new, more modern camera (sigh -- I really love the 70D). I'd like to favour mirrorless cameras as I'm tired of the slight misfocusing that happens when shooting through the viewfinder.

Anyway I'm now doubting which is the best way to go in terms of cameras. As we say in French I'm kind of sitting between two chairs: I have a good number of lenses, but they're mostly on the cheap side (none of them above 300€), and mostly third-party lenses (see list of lenses I own further down for details). So I'm hesitating between going full-frame (which means expensive camera AND expensive new lenses, or at least getting an adapter and saying goodbye to my APS-C only lenses), or getting a mirrorless APS-C camera "to start with", so I can save up some money and re-use my current lenses, and maybe invest later in a full-frame camera.

So far, here are the options I'm considering:

Canon EOS R and Canon EOS RP (battery life puts me off)
Going Sony with an alpha 6400?
Going Sony with the A7 Mk III (three) and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (absolute best option in my opinion but also super expensive, even by selling my existing gear which will not contribute that much it seems)
Going Sony with the A7 Mk I (one) or II (two) and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (this would probably be much much cheaper and be my first step into the full-frame world, and I'll invest later in a Mk III when it drops price)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

P.S.: list of currently owned lenses:
Canon EF-S 10-18mm (APS-C)
Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art (APS-C)
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 (APS-C)
Canon 50mm f1.8 STM
Sigma 70-300mm (cheapest version)
Samyang 85mm f1.4 (manual focus)
Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro
Canon 200mm f2.8L mk I

-- hide signature --

My modest Flickr gallery (comments and advice welcome): http://www.flickr.com/photos/112300149@N08/

eukerion's gear list:eukerion's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow