How to use Mirror Catadioptric Lens?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CCHIPSS
CCHIPSS New Member • Posts: 23
How to use Mirror Catadioptric Lens?

Hi. I had been taking photos for about 2 years now with my Canon M1. I use Magic Lantern for Focus Peaking and MagicZoom to help with focus. Recently I bought an Opteka 500mm F6.3 for fun. As you know this lens is manual focus only.

I found the lens perform OK at close distance, for birds for example. However once the object is further away the image quality degrades very quickly. It could be due to the dust/haze in the air (which can get intense over long distances).
I am wondering how I can improve my pictures. Here are some examples of some of the best photos I took with this lens. As I mentioned there is a huge difference between the quality of photos, of close by animals vs of distant objects. For birds, maybe 20% of my shots are keepers. For distant objects, I will say 0% right now. None of my shots at long distance can be considered keepers.

Am I focusing properly? Too much camera shake? All suggestions welcomed!

CCHIPSS's gear list:CCHIPSS's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow