Could the Z50 be Trojan horse for the new Z5 budget FF camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DaveR43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,366
Re: Could the Z50 be Trojan horse for the new Z5 budget FF camera?

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

JoeGuide wrote:

Z50 has magnesium weatherproof body with twin dial controls. Probably not difficult to replace the APSC sensor with a FF sensor for another $200 (just guessing). Manufacturing cost is shared by the two cameras. Add back a few features like CLS. Now we have Canon RP competitor with MRSP of <1200.

I doubt there will be a budget Z5 camera. I mean they already have a 20MP APS-C camera now, and likely might do a feature-rich version ("Z60") in the future (one with IBIS, dual card slots, etc) but I don't see them doing a Z5. What they likely will do is let the Z6 age, and that will become the budget FF body, and perhaps do what Canon does and make a Z6 Mark II, and a Z7 Mark II.

The issue is that Nikon don't have the luxury of time that Sony had for this approach.

So a lower feature, lower cost FF is probably essential to provide something priced comparably to the older Sony and newer Canon entry FF.

-- hide signature --

DaveR

DaveR43's gear list:DaveR43's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow