So, I'm needing a 50ish, go old or new Chinese?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,358
So, I'm needing a 50ish, go old or new Chinese?

I have been really enjoying my little Zonlai Fuji mount chinese cheapie 25mm 1.8 on my X-E1 Fuji.  I just bought the 85mm auto focus Viltrox for the FF equiv of around that 135mm area.  I needed AF for that further focal length for portraits, but I have realized how much easier it is to manually focus on the short end.  Focusing that 25mm is just so easy.  So, I am now needing a 50ish length for that FF 85mm portrait area.

I do have the 18-55 kit lens for the Fuji, as well as the 50-230, but of course, I want a fast lens for the bokeh.  I like the flikre sample group photos for the 7Artisans 55 1.4.  It's a new digital era lens and looks to be sharp at 1.8 to 2.0, which would still give good bokey.  Another advantage is that it would be new= no dust, fungus, nothing.  There are also plenty of other 50ish China lenses, Kamlan 50 1.4, Zonlai, Meike, quite a few, and in my Fuji mount as well.

BUT, even though the Chinastuff is cheap, only 199 for the 7Artisand 55 1.4,

I'm a poor person, so saving 50 bucls means a lot to me.   So as you all know there are several 1.4 manuals for around 50 to 75 dollars on Ebay.  Are any of them realy sharp enough at 1.8 and could match these new digital era 50's?   I love my Canon FD 100, Sigma 90, new Viltrox.  But I already have a Hexanon 57 1.4, and it just isn't sharp enough even at 2.0 for good portraits.  It was the first old manual I had ever bought.  It is super soft at 1.4, and the next click on the dial is 2.0 and still, just not very sharp.  So now I'm afraid that any of the old lenses in my price range, 80 to 100 dollars, would not be much better.

Never have owned a Rokkor, nor Nikon, nor pentax, only the Canon FD, Sigma, and the Hexanon.  So is there some old manual lens in my price range that could do sharp portraits at 1.8 in the 50ish range, or should I just go for a 50ish new Chinese cheapie?

Thanks for any help and sorry for rambling so much, I'm just deep in lens thought and felt like rambling about it.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow