Sony needs at least one really good pancake lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,498
Re: Sony needs at least one really good pancake lens

The pictures that you posted don't really look that convincing to me, especially in 1MP size. I'm not saying that available 16mm and 20mm pancake lenses are unusable. They just leave me wishing for something better.

You do not need 20 MP photos to determine what a camera can do. In particular not in this case where I gave you samples from an NEX5N and X100T which are both 16 MP cameras.

Whether the pictures I posted convinced you or not is immaterial, Look at the exifs of all the photos and consider that they are all handheld and it should give you a clear indication as to which camera is more versatile. Try a fairly clean shot with an X Fuji at ISO 3200 and please post it here.

No question the Fuji produces beatiful shots when available light is good. But see what you get when you try to make photos of fall foliage.

Nothing beats personal experience. There are many examples of excellent photos made with the SEL 16/2.8, 16-50, 20mm pancake and no one claims that these lenses are "best in class". They are all compromised designs and I would be crazy to compare the results of a Sony 16/2.8 with a Sigma 16/1.4

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow