90D + Tamron 150-600 g2

Started Oct 11, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP thomste Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: 90D + Tamron 150-600 g2

DanInSoCal wrote:

thomste wrote:

Am I making mistakes or is the Tamron 150-600 g2 rubbish at catching moving things?
Would I get better results with the Canon 100-400 ii and 1.4x TC? I understand the 100-400 has better AF but not sure how much the converter affects AF speed

The Tamron G2 is not the best for tracking fast moving objects. I have had good success with birds against the sky, but not against busier backgrounds. I see this as a good lens for more static subjects. It can give astounding results within its limits. Not sure a direct comparison of the 150-600 G2, and the 100-400 L II + TC, is reasonable given the 2x price differential. You get what you pay for.

I am curious why you disabled iTR -- it's specifically designed to help with tracking, after all. That's what it does.

Regards,
Dan

Yes I agree the 150-600 g2 is a great lens for static subjects, I got really great sharp results with it. Even with slower moving subjects like surfers etc.. 
I understand the 100-400 is double the price but if it is a lot better than the Tamron then I might just get one... but I don't want to get one if the AF performances with a 1.4x tc are going to be just as bad as the Tamron.

I disabled iTR as the manual says it can slow down the focusing, which is not what I want for fast moving stuff. My understanding is that iTR also specifically looks for faces and can get confused when he doesn't find any. I saw a video of a guy showing how iTR was focusing on random faces instead of his subjects while he was shooting football. He fixed the issue by disabling iTR.

I am going to rent a 100-400 ii this weekend and see how it performs with my 1.4x tc.
Lucky in Sydney there is shop that does short term rentals

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
(unknown member)
v30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow