Why I am I so bad composing with wide angle lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,573
Re: Why I am I so bad composing with wide angle lenses?

I think it's a matter of taste and mood, sometimes I feel lots more like shooting longer stuff, other times I really want to capture a wide subject.

I saw you collected a list of tips for dealing with wide angle images, here's a few more:

1) Keep your camera level if you want vertical lines to appear straight without further post processing work.

2) Nothing wrong with considering cropping a really wide angle image down to a pano!

3) More important the foreground stuff is sharp than background, so err on the side of closer focus if trying to use hyperlocal focus.

4) Since as your notes noted things on the edge get misshapen, you can use that re-shaping to producing a pleasing leading line effect towards the center of the image (works better for objects, re-shapen people might be considered more odd).

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow