The Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Manual Color Scopar v Sony E 35mm f/2.8

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim Mohundro Contributing Member • Posts: 700
The Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Manual Color Scopar v Sony E 35mm f/2.8

I found the 24-70 f/4 a bit cumbersome with the Z6 and the high end of the range a bit too short to be functional for me, and I believe the only zoom I ever much liked was the 16-85 I paired with my first Nikon DSLR, the D80 way back in 2008. Although my default focal length of choice has for years been the 35mm on full frame and certainly with my earlier film Leicas and Nikons, I was somewhat put off by the several reviewers’ (including Thom) comments about LoCA on the 35mm S and the retail price made that issue just enough unpalatable for me so I chose the often recommended 50 S, and I’m happy with that choice (if I had to settle for just one lens).

Now I’m no longer quite content to be without a good, but compact 35mm option and I’m looking for more of a “pancake” size lens in that focal length. I’m considering the pricey Sony E 35mm f/2.8 ($800) versus the $409 Voigtlander (Cosina) 35mm f/2.5, each of which are of the modest size I’m been seeking. Each of these two will require a $250 non-FTZ adapter.

The Sony plus adapter price brings in that lens and adapter at over $1,000 but Techart says that combination will retain its autofocus characteristics on the Z 6 with adapter. The Voigtlander is manual focus but (I think) I can use the Z 6 manual focusing capabilities for any moderate wide-angle opportunity where quick action focusing is not required, and the price difference is about $400. I assume, but don’t know, that the IQ of the Sony would be superior to that of the Voigtlander, so I guess I’m trying to compare IQ (first priority), then price, with autofocusns a third priority.

Opinions are definitely invited.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Jim Mohundro's gear list:Jim Mohundro's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Nikon D80 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow