Not perfect - but darn good.

Started 4 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mknibbs
mknibbs New Member • Posts: 9
Not perfect - but darn good.

I'm getting old. I moved from full-frame Canon to MFT in order to cut weight - especially longer focal length lenses. I added two PanaLeica lenses (12-24 and 50-200) to the G) to compete my walk-about kit. Mission accomplished! I can now hike with a sling-bag instead of the backpack (more weight lost).

The camera has pleasantly surprised me. I expected good handling - but the image quality and stabilization are truly impressive. OK, low-light performance is not as good as my 5Diii - but it's decent. But its ability to get 'keepers' at low shutter speed and long focal lengths has staggered me. The 50-200 is equivalent to my old Canon 100-400 mkii and I'm hand holding it way below reciprocity . I have shot 200 mm (35mm equivalent) shots at 1/40sec wide open to produce sharp photos.

The IQ in good light is very good, with nice contrast and colors. To my eye the image is sometimes less 'natural' than my Canon - but when I take care to look they are generally sharper. (Don't all shout - I know that's not possible. Just my POV).

Here a link to a couple of folders on Smugmug if you want a look.

https://michaelknibbs.smugmug.com/Public/Nature/Valley-Flora-Flowers/

https://michaelknibbs.smugmug.com/Public/Events/Chrissy-Large-Boats/

I've become something of a MFT zealot. This thing rocks.

mknibbs's gear list:mknibbs's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Nov 8, 2017
mknibbs's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
acceptable
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow