Could the Z50 be Trojan horse for the new Z5 budget FF camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DaveR43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,366
Re: Could the Z50 be Trojan horse for the new Z5 budget FF camera?

olyflyer wrote:

HeavyDuty wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

HeavyDuty wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

JoeGuide wrote:

Z50 has magnesium weatherproof body with twin dial controls. Probably not difficult to replace the APSC sensor with a FF sensor for another $200 (just guessing). Manufacturing cost is shared by the two cameras. Add back a few features like CLS. Now we have Canon RP competitor with MRSP of <1200.

Forget about it. It is far more difficult than you think. You underestimate the work.

But, if that was one of the design parameters...

It was not. Nobody ever built a camera with that sort of specification because it would make it far too expensive and complicated, without any benefits for Nikon in this case. These cameras are not modular.

As others have pointed out, I think we are talking past each other - I saw JoeGuide’s comment as remarking that the engineering may have been done for this to be the basis for more than one body, not that a finished Z50 would be convertible to FF. That’s what I was agreeing with.

...and that's exactly what disagree with. If all the works were done already then they would have released it with an FF sensor. It will need major differences not just a sensor change.

I think there is also work to be done elsewhere first.  The lack of IBIS would need to be addressed.  The 24-105 S lens shown on the roadmap might therefore have VR built-in.  Like it is built-in on the Canon and Sony 24-15 f/4 zooms.

So the Z50 body with FF sensor would have to wait until the 24-105 S VR was available...

-- hide signature --

DaveR

DaveR43's gear list:DaveR43's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow