Fast primes vs good zooms

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,224
The way that I see it...

... is that primes are good for certain reasons. 1) they're going to be smaller and lighter and that might be nice for on the go, incognito shooting. 2) If you're shooting in low light, like I do when I occasionally shoot indoor musical events, fast primes, especially for m43 which doesn't do low light as well as bigger systems is a really useful thing. 3) A prime can force you to shoot a certain way and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If the prime that you're using isn't too far from the range that you'd use most on your zoom then you aren't really limiting yourself much anyway... I'll admit to not using the few primes I have all that much, but I think that if I had something in the 17mm range, which is probably my most often used focal length, I might try going out shooting with just that lens...

There is of course the matter of better ability for shallow DOF as well for prime lenses. Unless you are dealing with a very fast prime though (like a f1.2) in which you're going to loose the benefit of the lighter weight and smaller size) or you're using a longer focal length then it seems that the extra shallow DOF isn't going to be all that much of a factor...

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow