Fast primes vs good zooms

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP spike29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,911
Re: Fast primes vs good zooms

Space the final frontier wrote:

The faster aperture of fixed lenses is often cited as the primary reason and advantage. However, I feel that it is a blanket statement without proper context. The next important factor to consider is depth of field, which decreases with larger aperture opening. In many situations that I am interested in, depth of field is just marginally deep enough even at f/4. Any shallower will be the wrong direction. So, I don't typically use fixed even though I have all of the f/1.7 and f/2.0. Instead, I use the 12-100 (most of the time) and 12-40 (some of the time) for flexibility. It is my habit and preference. YMMV.

Took your example in my calculating-app and a 15mm at f/1.8  and focusplane set at 3m will give me a DoF  of 2.47m 0.79m til 1.68m

At 2m focusplane it wil have still a DoF of 1m

And after 8.32m it's hyperfocal.

So indeed, when i need to shoot a bigger/deeper object i need to be more then 8m away from my selected "i want this sharp"

That's not that bad or not?

-- hide signature --

knowledge is addictive, every time i get some i want more.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(If i can remember 1/1000 of everything i learned/read in the past i will be happy as a monky with........)

spike29's gear list:spike29's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow