ggbutcher
ggbutcher Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: Your Nikon RAW NEF Work Flow ?

Doug Haag wrote:

ggbutcher wrote:

juhsstin2 wrote:

ggbutcher wrote:

(a lotta crap...)

i only understood some of what you said, but thank you.

My apologies, I got carried away...

To your specific question about editors that will do better-than-8-bit local edits, yes, I know GIMP will and I'm fairly sure regular PhotoShop has upgraded all of their tools out of 8-bit. Someone more familiar with that is welcome to weigh in.

Getting away from 8-bit editors was my first step into higher-quality post processing. It may take a 'bit' of doing on your part, but it is well-worth it.

As I understood him, juhstin2 was concerned that if you are limited to sending a jpeg (8-bit) to a commercial printer, this somehow offset or upended all the benefits touted for editing in 16-bit tiff.

It is my belief that the benefit of 16-bit data depth comes to the fore during the editing process where, for example, pushing the data to the extreme to reveal shadow detail will result in less pixelization or banding, etc. However, once all that stretching of data has been completed, saving the edited result as an 8-bit jpeg for printing does not in the least undo the benefits derived from editing in 16-bit. The jpeg will provide all the data a printer needs for an excellent output. Just don't try to push and pull the 8-bit data any more.

I agree with this to the extent that I understand current printing capabilities.  Disclaimer, I don't do any printing, but my understanding of the state of the art is that printer gamuts are still bounded by the sRGB gamut, comments and corrections are welcome.   If that is the case, then an 8-bit JPEG containing a sRGB gamut image will print just fine in most places.  Now, if a commercial printer specifies use of AdobeRGB or larger gamut, encoding such in an 8-bit JPEG will not capture sufficient gradation to effectively use that gamut. For larger gamuts, 16-bit TIFF is better.

Color gamut used to be simple, most devices didn't surpass sRGB.  Times are a-changing, and photographers who want to see their images in all the glory of the 10-bit displays and other improving devices will have to learn about such...

Yeah, I know, I'm off the deep end again, but this is a topic upon which it is worth expending the brain cells...

ggbutcher's gear list:ggbutcher's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow