Could the Z50 be Trojan horse for the new Z5 budget FF camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,779
Re: Could the Z50 be Trojan horse for the new Z5 budget FF camera?

JoeGuide wrote:

DaveR43 wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

HeavyDuty wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

JoeGuide wrote:

Z50 has magnesium weatherproof body with twin dial controls. Probably not difficult to replace the APSC sensor with a FF sensor for another $200 (just guessing). Manufacturing cost is shared by the two cameras. Add back a few features like CLS. Now we have Canon RP competitor with MRSP of <1200.

Forget about it. It is far more difficult than you think. You underestimate the work.

But, if that was one of the design parameters...

It was not. Nobody ever built a camera with that sort of specification because it would make it far too expensive and complicated, without any benefits for Nikon in this case. These cameras are not modular.

I don't think JoeGuide was intending to suggest the Z50 was designed for field replacement of the sensor. I think the suggestion was that a revision to the design would enable a FF mirrorless body to be produced, using essentailly the same innards.

In fact, Thom Hogan has suggested the same idea in his article 'Reader questions about the Z50". Right at the end, he has this question and answer:

Q "Can we tell anything from the Z50 positioning?"

A "Maybe. I wouldn't put it past Nikon to produce a Z5 full frame camera using the exact same Z50 body and specifications. It would be almost a no brainer to do. And it could be priced under the Z6 because it doesn't have the fancier EVF and LCD, the top display, or on-sensor VR (among other things)."

Exactly. In a contracting market, it makes sense to limit the cost of production and recycle design or components whenever possible. As I alluded to earlier, to have a full line of camera body, you need 4 body types. Type A-pro extra large body. Type B-large body Z6/7. Type C-small body too small for IBIS (Z50), and Type D-headless (san EVF) soap bar. No need to keep reiterating the styling since Nikon ergonomic are the best in the business. No need to change the buttons (don't move the cheese per Thom).

Add whatever sensor into the existing body: APSC20 mp, APSC 36 mp, FF 24, large FF 40, superlarge FF 60, and high speed pro 24. Add or exclude IBIS.

Follow the nomenclature.

Z6/7--Z70 will be 36+ mp APSC camera with IBIS.

Z50-no IBIS--expect Z5 to have be FF with no IBIS.

Z40 will be budget camera with no EVF-- not sure if they will make san EVF FF.

Of course as much as possible is reused in different models but that doesn't mean the only difference between the Z50 and the Z5 will be the sensor.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow