Japan Trip lens selection

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,042
Re: Japan Trip lens selection

Guy Parsons wrote:

From memory the Japan aim was 20 million tourists per year but it has climbed way over that now, the Wiki chart stops at 2017 with 28.7 million. So make sure all trains and accommodation are booked, winging it would be extremely difficult. Olympics of course will cause even more chaos for the July to August period.

Wow, these are the first numbers I have seen, but my experience on the ground mirrors this.  I live in a tourist location and the foreign visitors have shot up significantly in the 2014~ period (wasn't sure if it was a Lonely Planet related shift).  Part of it is down to the discount airline tickets that let foreigners fly here for a 1/3 (or less) of what locals have to pay during peak season.

As for lenses, the 8-18 would probably be enough (though the 12-32 could be made to work).   Since the telephoto lens is small enough the OP might bring it along, but mine rarely gets much use.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow