juhsstin2 Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Your Nikon RAW NEF Work Flow ?

ggbutcher wrote:

juhsstin2 wrote:

ggbutcher wrote:

juhsstin2 wrote:

chrisD46 wrote:

juhsstin2 wrote:

I open with NX-D; run ADL, brightness, contrast, saturation, and noise reduc as needed; then export to TIFF-16bit. I will then open the 16bit TIFF in Photoshop Elements and run any more global edits as needed like shadows/highlights, cropping, sharpness, etc. Then I will convert to 8bit for local edits including layers, spot healing, etc. Then I will publish as a high quality JPEG.

*Wouldn't converting to b bit high quality jpeg be the absolute last step in the post processing process ?

Yes, isn't that what I said?

Assuming OP's question containing 'b bit' is supposed to be '8 bit', I think he's wondering like I am why you'd convert to 8-bit to do the local edits? I'd do such in the larger bitdepth, but I'm always ready to consider others' reasoning...

Photoshop Elements does not allow for local edits in 16bit. Do you know other editors that do?

Ah, there's still a lot of "original" legacy code out there, when all there was were 8-bit images...

Pretty sure PhotoShop is working in at least 16-bit, but I don't use it so consider at your peril. GIMP as of 2.10 now has multiple internal formats from which to choose, both integer and floating point. At this point in the game, I think you have a number of good options to consider to get out of 8-bit for local edits, just need to invest some learning time and (maybe) a few units of your local currency...

This was one of the main considerations that kicked me off the "rank amateur" curb into the gutter that is high-quality post-processing. I'd shoot scenes with my D50 that had large range of light, and I'd try to compensate for crushed shadows by munging the JPEGs with all sorts of slider tools built for the purpose. Didn't take too many of those to find out what the word "posterization" meant. Long-story-short, pursuit of handling dynamic range is what has led me to my present state, Nikon Z6 camera and my own software concoction that uses 32-bit floating point for its internal image. That is the essence of my contribution to this thread, (My) Nikon RAW NEF Work Flow.

Oh, the 32-bit floating point thing might be considered overkill to some; indeed, I think acceptable avoidance of posterization can be realized in 16-bit editing. But some of the programming libraries i use either offer advantage to using floating point (LittleCMS for color management), or simply require floating point input (librtprocess for a large collection of quality demosaic routines). Okay, getting into the weeds here, think I'll stop talking...

i only understood some of what you said, but thank you.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow