Where EVFs fail

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,606
Where EVFs fail

I just finished a very successful shoot of headshots for a company. They wanted an exterior background and we were able to set up under a large 20'x20' scrim. I used a strobe with umbrella for lighting and balanced exposures with the background.

Tests were perfect. Shots were perfect.

The shooting experience was very trying.

With the trigger off, exposure simulation is enabled. When I switch the trigger on, it is automatically disabled which I understand as when I use it in the studio that is precisely what I want. However, with a backlit subject and a bright element in the background the EVF automatically calculates a very dark exposure error. Thus the EVF is very dark and the subject (and most importantly their expression) are impossible to see.

The irony is that even with the ability to use exposure simulation in this case it would still be a fail as the subject is dark in contrast to the properly exposed background.

I use the R in this case as my mk4 which has a brilliant OVF, just is not as reliably accurate in focus as the R.  I shot 500+ exposures and everyone was tack sharp. The mk4 will do very well but is more like 90% tack sharp with 10% sharp enough but soft enough to be annoying. The other issue with the mk4 is the focus points do not cover as much area as the R and the points outside the central area are not as accurate and are dependent on bright light.

So while I love the R in studio and for my commercial work, location portraiture is  a real issue under a very common portraiture lighting conditions.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow