Japan Trip lens selection

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,990
Re: Japan Trip lens selection

2ndact scene1 wrote:

Thanks. I have not checked out the differences yet. The size and weight of a fast zoom are a potential issue. Like everything in photography, there are always compromises you have to make. Size/weight vs. maximum focal length in this case.

I may end up with a two fast primes instead - but which ones is still to be determined (15mm and 45mm?, 12mm and 45mm?, 25mm f1.4 and a wide angle, slow zoom?). The number of m4/3 lens choices is a plus but you have to work hard at choosing!

Right now I can't remember exactly what I took on each Japan trip but I do remember that the 2009 trip I took only a Panasonic LX3 with its "24-60mm" performance and didn't miss much. So nice to travel with only a compact camera in a small belt pouch.

In 2011 I do remember an E-PL1 with 14-150mm lens, not sure that I enjoyed that and its results so much.

In 2014 I think it was E-P5 + 12-40/2.8 (best combination for me ever, still is) and some tele with Panasonic 45-150mm. I think that the 9-18mm taken was hardly used at all.

A later trip to Taiwan took E-P5 + 12-40/2.8 + Panasonic 35-100/2.8 + Samyang 7.5mm fisheye also a Casio ZR5100 with "19-95mm" and was happy with the results, but my small bag now getting a little heavier, except when I carried only the Casio in a belt pouch.

Experiment in 2019 was two weeks in Singapore with only the Sony RX100M6 with its "24-200mm" performance in a small belt pouch, really enjoyed the freedom of that trip and the results are close to M4/3 results, but I sorely missed wider than "24mm" thus ...

Recent trip to Ireland+England was with E-P5 + 8-18mm doing most of the work and some from the Sony to pick off details as mentioned in my earlier post above somewhere.

More for the OP....

Keep to thinking light weight travel for Japan as big cases don't always fit in crowds, on buses, on train overheads (if they exist) and on high speed trains. If you want to keep bags with you then smallish ones can fit in the high speed train knee space (it's generous knee space, not like cattle class on airplanes). Otherwise they stay in racks at the end of the carriage. Avoid peak time travel on suburban trains and totally forget that if carrying luggage.  Japanese are very honest, it's the other tourists that you need to worry about and they are everywhere.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow