Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Dericali Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

Philnw2 wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/4682142293/when-fast-ish-is-fast-enough-in-praise-of-f1-8-lenses?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

I thought it would be interesting to get a "Sony" perspective on f1.4 or faster lenses. The above article is well written by Barney Britton.

Quote: There is still a demand for F1.4 and faster lenses, but that's not the same thing as saying that there is a need for them

There is an interesting figure in the article showing bokeh from an f1.8 lens to an f1.4 lens, and the f1.4 lens is superior - no doubt. but the bokeh from the f1.8 lens was fine by me as well. More revealing perhaps was the size comparisons between an f1.8 and a f1.4 lens in the article. Substantial size and cost differences.

Anyway, i thought that Britton "hit it out of the park" with regard to summarizing the differences between "normal" size lenses and the more exotic.

As someone who aspires to take beautiful portraits I certainly want to have at least one f1.4 lens in my bag.
However I don't think it's necessary at all focal lengths - I'm planning to pick up a 35mm, and the weight and size (and prize) are bigger considerations.

This picture was taken with the 85mm at f1.4. Certainly if I was shooting at 1.8 I could not have achieved the same effect.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow