Fast BIFs, Migrators, Lovely Bugs, and More Wetlands (10/13/19)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,785
Fast BIFs, Migrators, Lovely Bugs, and More Wetlands (10/13/19)

I'm keeping the threads coming regularly, as I feel like I'm getting closer to catching up - with this thread I'll wrap up August shooting, and bring us through the first week of September!

This time, I'll start off with the very end of August, on the 31st, with some overcast skies and starting with some superfast and erratic swallows buzzing around, then on to some of the usual wetlands waders, as well as some of the migrating and winter birds passing through or just arriving - the little songbirds and such starting to appear in the pine forests from up north.  Then on to September 7th, with some more migrating birds, and some bugs and a lizard too.

All shots taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm GM combo, and all posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

We get a 2-3 week window when the barn swallows arrive, busily flying about grabbing bugs to eat, and feed up before moving on to parts farther south.  These missiles never slow down and don't ever seem to perch still anywhere!

Another, soaring low over the grasses hoping to catch bugs just as they lift off from the reeds

One of our more colorful migrating birds, the lovely yellow-throated warbler.  This one had found something to eat while crawling upside-down on the bottom of a palm frond with those nimble clawed feet

After swallowing that meal, he's already surveying where he's going to hop to next...one second later, he was out of frame

The snowy egret, unlike some of our other egrets, is not a year-round resident of these wetlands...they arrive in late fall and stay through end of spring, then they seem to disappear to parts farther north or farther west - this was one of the first for this fall

An anhinga, catching the sun to dry off on this downed log

This would be a 'DIF' - dragonfly in flight - buzzing along just above the water and the low leaves...this is a blue dasher

A common butterfly for many, but one I don't actually see too often - a monarch perched on a purple flower, with the calm waters as a backdrop

A white ibis, standing in the distance before mirror-like waters reflecting him and the sky

The easy-to-hear, hard-to-spot, grasshopper - this one perched on the dark side of a reed waving back and forth in the wind

Another lovely yellow-throated warbler up in the pine tree tops

As usual with these birds, they only sit still a second or two - this one was already contemplating his next jump

A moorhen momma, cruising through the thick algae with chick in tow

This is the time of year for many of the chicken relatives to have their young - along with the moorhens, the grey-headed swamphens were also busy feeding their chicks

Wrapping up with a young basilisk lizard perched on the side of a branch just out of the water

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow