Four primes and two zooms or three zooms?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 13,788
Four primes and two zooms or three zooms?

I'm considering getting more Asahi Super-Takumar lenses. I now have two - a 28mm and a 55mm. I figure I could get a 35mm, and a 50mm, and then with my 70-300mm OS and eventually a 14-24mm f2.8 Art, I'd have a full set of lenses. The alternative is to have a 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art instead of those primes. That would give me OS, for when I want to shoot handheld, which is pretty rare, but it would cost me a lot of extra money. I don't know how much weight I'll be saving, if any, by carrying primes instead of the 24-70 Art lens, frankly. I will certainly have to manual focus all the time, and I'll have to change lenses a lot more (maybe three or four times as much, I'd guess).

Does anyone here have experience with a Takumar prime and the 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art? If so, do you think the image quality of the Art zoom is as good as that from the little old Takumar primes?

One other consideration I have is the possibility of color casts with one or more of the old primes, which I may overlook (or just not see) until it's too late. I wouldn't have that likelihood, with the Art zoom.

I expect to use this set of lenses on my SD Quattro H, but I plan to get the camera with the full-frame Foveon sensor, and use them on that camera too. I can use all these lenses on a Sony A7r IV too, if I actually do end up getting that camera or the Panasonic S1R, if I end up deciding to go that way.

Any thoughts about whether to just get the money together and buy the 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art, or continue collecting Asahi Super-Takumar primes?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
Sigma sd Quattro H Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow