Which 100-400 for outdoor sports?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,992
Re: Which 100-400 for outdoor sports?

Rexgig0 wrote:

Just a thought: Have your tried an Extender 2x on your 70-200/2.8L? I have neither of these, so cannot say how this combination would compare to any of your three listed options.

I haven't tried a 2x on the 70-200. Not really looking to go down that route though, as I'd like a 2nd lens to have two telephotos for field sports.

If you are accustomed to the zoom and focus ring directions of Canon lenses, Sigma lenses work like Canon lenses in this regard, while Tamron lenses’ zoom and focusing operate like Nikon lenses, the direct opposite of Canon lenses. When shooting active subjects, this can be important.

Yeah that could be annoying in use for sure.

My wife and I share a Sigma 150-600mm Sport, which is optically wonderful, so I have a generally favorable opinion of Sigma lenses. (I/We have not used a Sigma 100-400mm lens.) She also uses, and likes, a Sigma 24-35mm Art lens.

I've been hit or miss with Sigma lenses, more so in AF consistency rather than optical performance.  I haven't had any newer gen Sigmas, and the one that gave me AF fits was a cheaper APS-C lens about 8 years ago, so my first hand knowledge is fairly dated.  My only Sigma right now is their older gen 12-24II, and it's mostly manually focused.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow