Fast primes vs good zooms

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP spike29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,911
Re: Fast primes vs good zooms

alcelc wrote:

I am a zoom guy. For last 10+ years since my first MILC, I had an all zoom lenses setup for my travelling. The Panny OIS can deal with a lot of my low light shooting requirement.

Me too,  i seldom go out by my self just for taking pictures. I use my gear mostly in family walks or day outs and holiday's. Then the Zooms are great because then anoying waiting time when swapping lenses is less for others.

I had once bought a 14 f/2.5. On AF speed, low lighting AF, IQ, it is very close to 14~45 f/3.5~5.6. Under the 3~3.5 stops of OIS, I could indeed use slower shutter speed than the 14 on a non IBIS body...

With improved higher ISO of newer models, and now the DUAL IS of Pannys, basically any f/1.7~2.5 non OIS lens has no real speed advantage for my relative still object / deeper DoF shooting.

Last year, could not resist GAS and bought the 15. It is a fantastic lens. But on slow shutter speed shooting, basically the Panny IBIS doesn't do much better than a DUAL IS f/3.5 lens 😣. I never regret the purchase because to Have a Leica lens in my bag always feeling good. But practically 15 is not really a MUST need item to my sort of usage.

Ah it seems i am a bit in your street. As an other wrote: subject movement or other motion in the frame can be handled by the faster aperture to gain faster shutterspeed but in general dual is2 does helpout much.

YMMV.

It's the itch of thinking i need that faster lens (and faster can only be a prime in my budget) and i am trying to clean up the GAS from the "need".

-- hide signature --

knowledge is addictive, every time i get some i want more.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(If i can remember 1/1000 of everything i learned/read in the past i will be happy as a monky with........)

spike29's gear list:spike29's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow