First full frame DSLR Nikon D750 w 24/120 or Canon 6D mk 2 w 24/105?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gdwtvb New Member • Posts: 10
First full frame DSLR Nikon D750 w 24/120 or Canon 6D mk 2 w 24/105?

First I want to thank everyone for all the great replies I got to my first post about returning to photography in the beginners questions section. I've spent about sixteen hours over the last several days reading specs and reviews and countless threads in this forum. I also did some soul searching about what I want to accomplish in my photography. (Thanks to Grsnovi.)

I've decided on going full frame, and as my decade old entry level gear is worthless  according to the online retailers, (Rebel t1i with kit lens) I will donate it to the photography club/class at the local college.

So here's the plan. I'm gonna get the camera and kit lens, use my time all winter to practice with an emphasis on basic techniques concentrating on portraits, pictures of the dog and cat, and some light landscape work. (Which will be fun in our winter wonderland, and perhaps a bit challenging too.)  Spring, we have a vacation planned and I'll get the chance to get pictures of my dad's classic car and maybe a carshow, lots of pictures of relatives and loved ones as well as maybe a a little landscape work. Hope to add a prime lens at that time. (As yet to be decided, but maybe a dual use with a macro.)

Finally around summer I plan to get the tripod and long lens for birding and wildlife work. But the majority of my photography has always been and will most likely always continue to be of people, I'm more drawn to and comfortable with candid shots of kids, people at weddings, etc. I like taking pictures that aren't posed shots. (I have no desire to ever be a portrait photographer for pay, but enjoy being able to provide the service for free to people I like.)

I do apologize ahead of time because undoubtedly the Nikon vs Canon thing has been done to death. Each system has strengths and weaknesses. But if you were starting from scratch as I laid out, with the two available choices to start, (Canon 6D mk 2 or Nikon D750 with the kit lens) which one would you go with and why.

Thanks

Grizz

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow