Bough a cheap a6400. Sold my beloved a6500.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
someguy50 Regular Member • Posts: 332
Bough a cheap a6400. Sold my beloved a6500.

I was not expecting to sell my a6500 as IBIS was such a big improvement for me and my unstabilized  Sigma lenses. Reasons for my move are below.

1. The autofocus improvements are no joke. I thought this was mostly hype, but I was wrong. I’m having a 100% hit rate - with eyes always in focus - with my 1.4 sigma primes. So, so impressive. And it’s sticky! Eyes obscured, head turned slightly, it doesn’t matter! It just snaps right back. I thought Sigma’s AF was a bit behind Sony’s lenses, but they are performing much better than Sony glass with my a6500. I’m loving my Sigma glass more - didn’t think that was possible. Huge thanks and huge congratulations to Sony for this improvement.
  2. Silent shutter improvement. I was always a bit surprised the rate was a bit slow with my a6500, this is now rectified with a6400. From 3fps to 8fps?
  3. Overall responsiveness. The a6500 was noticeably slower to start up than my a6000, and the a6400 is noticeably snappier than the a6500. The touchscreen is also more responsive / less of a delay with input.
  4. Menu improvement. From the custom my menu, to the visualized custom buttons. This one ticks me off a bit to be honest - why didn’t we get this with a software update on the a6500?
  5. Flippy screen. Yes, yes. My wife and kids love selfies, and I’m learning to love them now with this screen.
  6. Colors and white balance seem to be more reliable for me. This may vary, but so far less post processing for me.
  7. Higher ISO options it appears? Nice to have.
  8. And finally: I was able to sell my A6500 for more than the A6400’s cost (fantastic deal @ amazon warehouse).

While I’ll miss IBIS, I’ll resort to cranking the ISO Auto Min for all the other wonderful changes. Very happy with the trade off.

My 2 cents in case anyone was facing this decision. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Sony a6000 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow