A Celebration of Kit Lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,431
A Celebration of Kit Lenses

Let's face it, we sometimes lose sight of what's really important in photography. I'm as guilty as anyone of this, sometimes giving too much credit to the gear and not enough to the photographer. With this thread, I'd like to balance that out a bit and celebrate the kit lens.

Kit lenses catch a lot of grief. They're plasticky, slow and of questionable optical quality. Well, that's the perception, anyway. But most of us got hooked on photography shooting with a kit lens. You may shoot only with top-shelf primes and zooms, today, and that's awesome. But somewhere in your archives, I'll bet there's a photo you still really like that was made with a homely kit lens.

Please, share your kit lens faves; images illustrating the fact that subject, light, composition, moment and technique are more important than gear when it comes to making a good photo.

Here's a photo I made about six weeks ago with my travel kit, which features the Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-4 OIS kit lens.

Fuji X-T20 with 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS at 18mm, f/4, 1/20, ISO 2000

Let's see your kit lens faves.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow