Set of Lenses for new Sony (a7r 3?) system (~$2-$2.5K)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Greg Stein New Member • Posts: 11
Set of Lenses for new Sony (a7r 3?) system (~$2-$2.5K)

Hello,

I would love to hear some opinions that can help to form my own regarding the puzzle I'm solving right now. I'm looking into buying Sony A7R III and trying to find out which lenses to pick. I would appreciate any help here.

Trigger

During our last family backpacking trip to Iceland, my Sony NEX-6 finally died. It survived many "fatal" events (dropped it into the red sea, dropped it from a cliff in Negev desert...). Normally I repair all my gear (yes, disassembled completely, soldered, cleaned some of the lenses). Well, yes this sais something about me:

1) I'm not babying my gear

2) I travel a lot and while I'm trying to keep my gear safe, this is not the main purpose for me. I need a workhorse, not a nice looking camera. And I need it to be light

History

13 years back I was shooting Nikon D80 with 18-70 zoom. Bought 50mm f/1.4 and understood what it means that lens draws the image. I loved it so much until in 2013 the mirror mechanism cracked, new, 3rd baby was on the way and I wanted video. Bought the Sony NEX-6 and was very satisfied. Bought: Sony 50mm f/1.8 (meh-quality), Sony 16-50mm retractable zoom (the worst lens I ever owned), Sigma 19mm f/2.8 (good landscape lens). After all, I ended up adapting my Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens to Sony and loved the results so much I almost always was shooting with this combo despite the full manual mode (no autofocus).

Budget

Not much, around $2000-$2500. But if possible to save - I'll save.

Requirements

1) I'm getting more and more into "movie-making" which for me is shooting travel videos and short family videos. I have a drone, a GoPro for getting some of the impossible shots (from a cup, let's say).

2) I travel a lot. Actually all our vacations involve 70% spending hiking with backpacks/tents. Hence I'm looking into more compact and light versions of the equipment. When I originally switched from the DSLR to NEX camera I dropped 2 kilos. I mentioned it right away.

3) I want a Full Frame body. I think after 13 years of shooting APSC I'm ready for the next step. This also puzzles me because not having the crop factor influences the focal lengths that I need to choose.

4) I will buy also a gimbal. I suppose I will use it only with the wide-angle lens. Not part of this budget

5) I like primes only. I was traveling with two lenses: 19mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4. I was very happy with the results. The drawbacks for me were: not that sharp 19mm and no autofocus on 50mm.

6) I'm THAT close pulling the trigger on Sony A7R III, but not decided yet. The camera body is not part of the budget.

7) I'm not making money out of photography. It is just a hobby.

I hope to hear some advise, from you guys. I watched some of the videos on YT but I don't really know which lenses to pick and if they worth the price. I'm really struggling to choose between a set of two (18mm, and say, 75mm?) or set of three (18mm, 50mm, 85mm). Never shot FF before, except one day I got my hands on colleague's Nikon D850.

Thank you in advance!

Kindest regards,

Greg.

Nikon D80 Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow