What lens produces the most shallow DoF for automotive photography?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
techie takes pics Contributing Member • Posts: 674
Re: What lens produces the most shallow DoF for automotive photography?

Perhaps you can post two examples, one which you like, another one which you don't.

As posted above, you will get a lot of background blur (and also a compressed image) with a higher focal length.

I would strongly suggest you try out a couple of lenses to see what works for you.  You can rent them or even subscribe to the Olympus Test&Wow program.

If you go to a brick&mortar store you can try these out on any car in the parking lot.

Lenses I suggest you rent / test:

• 40-150 f/2.8 and make sure to use it at 40, 75, 100, 120 and 150mm.

Longer range gets a lot of background-blur. Test this particular lens because it will give you a number of longer focal ranges at wide aperture, so you can see what kind of image you like.

• 75mm f/1.8. Just like the lens I mentioned above, just fixed, and smaller, lighter and a stop wider.
  • 45mm f1/.2 (too shallow at 1.2 for some people, btw)

For cheapo's, since you shoot stationary targets, you may try manual lenses. 
7Artisans makes a few manuals.

Vintage lenses spring to mind. You can get a 50mm f/1.8 for $40 and a 50mm f/1.4 for about $90-140.   A 58mm Helios is f/2 at around $40.  135mm lenses at 3.5 and f/2.8 are abundant and cheap; below $80.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Pot
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow