Canon 50mm/F1.2L and multiple reviews

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nonproshooterdad Regular Member • Posts: 423
Canon 50mm/F1.2L and multiple reviews

I like to read reviews with sharpness numbers. So I compared 3 reviews on Canon 50L. Photozone.de , Lenstip, and DXOmark. I only care for wide open sharpness, so I only look at this respect.

Lenstip (reviewed in 2010), it seems the copy they reviewed was very off. The center sharpness is very poor, almost the same as the edge, not usable.

Photozone (reviewed in 2009) said it differently. In the center, it is good wide open. And the edge is very poor.

Dxomark, wide open at the center, it is good. But the good circle is very small. It quickly turns to poor when going off center. And at the very center, it is a bit of green, means very good at the center point.

When I got my copy, I felt like I got a good copy, because I only use center wide open. When it nail the focus, the eye at the center point looks very sharp. This seems match the Dxomark data.

I was hesitated to keep this lens because I read some comments on the sharpness of this lens. The impression is, this lens is not sharp. Some said it was not usable. But I only need the eyes sharp, I actually don't care the other parts of the body. Actually, the unsharp of the off center part creates a bokeh like effect. I think that is the reason I keep it.

Just want to share my evaluation process. I have a tolerance on weight and size, 85mm in diameter is the limit to comfortably hand hold a lens. So 85L is a bit too big, but 85L sloped to the camera, I hold the slope part, and feel comfortable. I ditched Sigma 85 Art because of this reason. It is bigger than 85L, no slope for handheld. My weight limit is 1kg. I can use the lens bigger or heavier than the limitation, but I'll feel I don't like to use it for a longer time, then I feel like I don't like to use it, because I don't know how long I'll hold it. I am not a pro, it's not to own my life, I'll stay in my comfortable zone for my gears. I think this is also the reason I'll not move to R, because the R version of 50L and 85L are all out of my limitation in weight and size.

Canon mirrorless lenses are going too far, they make better lenses only because they can. This part of market is for pro only. For amateurs, the old pro lenese are better options.

nonproshooterdad's gear list:nonproshooterdad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6400 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow