What Are Your Favorite Lenses for Your Nex or Alpha?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
What Are Your Favorite Lenses for Your Nex or Alpha?

I'm curious to hear what everyone's favorite E mount lenses are.  I've had plenty of time to play with my lenses and have developed a clear favorite.

Winner: 18-135mm OSS

As odd as this sounds, this lens is both my most used and least exciting lens.  It doesn't have the crispness or "pop" of some of my other lenses, but this one is a reliable workhorse.  When you're exploring with friends and don't have time to continually swap lenses, the 18-135mm covers most every situation. Not only that, but this jack-of-all-trades is a very portable, stabilized package.  Really my only complaint with this lens is the lack of weather seals on a $500-700 kit zoom.

No matter where I go, this lens will end up in my travel bag.  It's just that versatile.

Runner-Up: 35mm OSS

While popular opinion has left this lens behind in favor of the Sigma 30mm f1.4, I really enjoy shooting with this tiny prime.  It's solid in the hand, sharp enough for my purposes, and small enough to fit in my bag with a few zooms.  I don't know why, but I'm always excited to pop this on my A6400.  One of my goals in the coming year is challenging myself to shoot an international trip with this lens only.

Honorable Mention: 10-18mm OSS

To be honest, I was nervous when initially buying this lens.  It's my most expensive lens, is anecdotally prone to manufacturing issues, and pooh-poohed in favor of cheaper alternatives like the Rokinon 12mm.  After a few weeks of comparison I returned the Rokinon, and the 10-18mm has been a staple of my travels ever since.  The Rok was sharper (at 200%) and of a more solid build, but the Sony was just too versatile to pass up. My only frustration with this lens is that it's $750 without weather sealing, which is a real shame.

The SEL1018 complements the 18-135mm very well, renders scenes nicely, and allows for some artistic choice in composition.  With the two Sony zooms in your bag, the world is your oyster.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow