*** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.10.12 ***

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 9,580
Carpi

Carpi near Modena is famous for the production of knitwear for the big Italian fashion houses. It is a place nobody here in Italy would think of visiting for tourism. I discovered what Carpi had to offer whilst on a work assignment.

Here in Italy, on the first Sunday of every month, museums do not charge for admission. So, I decided to take of advantage of this rare Governmental generosity and visit a couple of places that seemed interesting.

The Pieve of Santa Maria is a Romanic church with some nice fourteenth century frescoes.

Palazzo Pio was the home of the Pio family who ruled this little kingdom during the Renaissance period, before it was swallowed up by Modena. There are a few frescoed rooms with a nice chapel, with a curious fresco of one of the Pio’s breaking a stick across his knee.

Carpi has the dubious honour in having had Italy’s only concentration camp on the outskirts. You can visit it if you want. I prefer the works of bloodthirsty Renaissance warlords so I left it out of my visit.

The Pieve of Santa Maria, Carpi,MO

Palazzo Pio Carpi, MO

Well worn staircase, Palazzo Pio.

Monument to those deported from the Concentration Camp in Carpi to  Germany and Poland.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
tcd
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow